Students continue to become familiar with the phonemes (sounds) and graphemes (spelling choices) on the THRASS chart. They are improving with isolating phonemes then choosing a grapheme to help spell a word. As a class, here are some spelling strategies we have come up with so far:
1. Sound out each phoneme.
2. Sound out each syllable.
3. Look at the THRASS chart.
4. Writing it and see which one looks right.
5. Looking around for the room for the word.
6. As a friend.
7. Back track and edit.
How to use the THRASS chart to spell words
1. Sound out the phoneme.
2. Look for the phoneme box.
3. Pick a grapheme (spelling choice).
4. See if it look right