Students were introduced to the 8 math practices we’ll be working on throughout year. They worked in groups to discuss what each practice might mean and look like. Then they presented to the class. As the year progresses, students will grow a deeper understanding of these practices.
1. Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
2. Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
3. Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
4. Model with mathematics.
5. Use appropriate tools strategically.
6. Attend to precision.
7. Look for and make use of structure.
8. Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
Students also brainstormed in groups and came up with these Math Class Agreements for math workshop:
Math Class Agreements